Menopause brings on a lot of changes for women, more so even than puberty. One of the most noticeable changes is skin changes. As hormone levels shift our skin can experience both dryness and itchiness, as well as a host of other menopausal skin issues.
If you are experiencing some of the common skin concerns brought on by menopause, Vela Days can help. Our highly concentrated hemp-based skincare products can address the common signs of menopausal skin, including dryness, itchiness, and rashes.
How does menopause affect the skin?
It's important to understand that menopause is not directly linked to any skin conditions. However, menopause can, by way of hormonal changes, leave your skin more vulnerable to skin conditions that you otherwise might not be so vulnerable to.
There are a few different factors that can cause menopausal skin problems. These can include:
- Lower levels of estrogen lead to reduced production of natural oils in the skin, which can leave it feeling dry and itchy.
- Increased sensitivity to irritants, which can further exacerbate dryness and itchiness.
- Hormonal shifts that can result in drastic changes in pigmentation and skin texture.
The effect that menopause has on the skin will differ from woman to woman. Some may experience drastic changes in skin conditions, while some will be lesser. Some women may experience no discernible change in their skin at all.
What are the most common menopausal skin problems?
As stated before, menopause does not directly cause skin problems It can make some existing concerns more apparent, and make you more vulnerable to others. The most common menopausal skin problems include:
- Dryness around the mouth and eyes
- Itchiness close to the scalp and in other parts of the body
- Changes in pigmentation particularly around the softer parts of the face
- Changes in skin texture all over the body
- Worsening of preexisting conditions like eczema and psoriasis
These changes can be frustrating and even painful, but there are ways to address them. Before we get into solutions to menopausal skin concerns, let's talk about some of the common myths surrounding menopause and skin
What are some of the myths about menopausal skin?
One of the biggest myths about menopause is that it causes skin rashes. In reality, menopause does not cause skin rashes. Changes in estrogen levels can leave the skin more sensitive to redness and irritation. It can also worsen pre-existing conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
If you are experiencing a rash, it is important to see a dermatologist to get the proper diagnosis and treatment. Unexplained rashes can be dangerous to your health, and are often a symptom of another underlying condition that requires medical treatment.
Another prevalent myth is that there is nothing that can be done to address menopause-related skin problems. In reality, there are many different skincare products on the market today that can help to soothe dry and itchy skin caused by menopause.
How can I address menopausal skin problems?
There are a few steps that you can take to help manage menopause-induced skin changes.
First, be sure to use gentle, non-irritating soaps and cleansers that won't strip away natural oils.
Second, make sure to drink lots of water and eat a healthy diet that is rich in antioxidants and fats.
Third, consider using topical products that are specifically designed for menopausal skin.
How to choose the best moisturiser for menopausal skin?
When choosing the best moisturiser for menopausal skin to address dryness and flakiness, it helps to address all skin concerns in tandem. When you cleanse and protect the skin while moisturising it, you prevent the skin from succumbing to vulnerabilities This is especially true in menopause, when the skin is at its most vulnerable.
Products like Vela Days' highly concentrated hemp seed oil-based skin care line can help to soothe dryness, itchiness, and other menopausal skin problems. In just 3 easy steps, you can encourage your skin's natural barrier against skin problems, while cleansing and moisturising. Here's how they work:
- The Lipid Complex Cleansing Balm removes impurities from the skin, and prevents issues that may arise from irritants like makeup and weather
- The Active Compound Face Serum encourages greater skin renewal by encouraging cell turnover, while hydrating and preventing acne at the same time
- The Oil Infusion Serum (the best moisturiser for menopausal skin) delivers hydration and nourishment to the skin.
With regular use of Vela Days' products, you can feel confident and comfortable in your skin no matter what stage of life you're in.