How to treat dry skin, sensitive skin, and other winter skin conditions
Keeping skin hydrated in winter can be tough. Everyone is familiar with the trials of winter skin. Dryness, cracking, sensitivity - all painful reminders of how cold it is outside. On the inside, we have indoor heat to protect us. What do we have to protect our skin in the winter months?
Fortunately, a winter skin care routine can keep your skin healthy all throughout the coldest part of the year. Using a balance of cleansing, moisturising, and sensitive treatment, you can keep your skin healthy all year.
Your skin's health is of the utmost importance to us at Vela Days. If you have a skin condition, including winter skin, that needs addressing, then we have the skincare routine for you. Our simple 3-step formula is highly concentrated, and allows you to get out there and enjoy winter with confidence.
How does winter affect the skin?
The winter months can be tough on the skin. The cold, dry air can cause the skin to become dry, flaky, and irritated. In addition, the lack of sunlight can lead to vitamin D deficiency, which can further contribute to dryness.
Here are some of the main skin problems caused by the colder temperatures in winter:
- Dry winter skin
- Skin sensitivity
- Cracked skin
- Chapped lips
These conditions are often caused or exacerbated by:
- Hot water in overheated showers
- Indoor heating that produces dry heat
- Wind and colder weather outside
- Lack of attention due to less exposure
- Lack of UV rays and warmth from the sun
Winter weather can absolutely wreak havoc on your skin if not properly treated. Keeping your skin happy may seem difficult. But with a bit of attention and plenty of care every single day of winter, you'll wake up on every cold morning loving the skin you have.
What can I do to address winter skin right now?
There are ways you can readily combat dry winter skin with products you might have in your cupboard right now. We aren't talking about hot chocolate for comfort! We mean the winter skincare tools that might already be hiding amongst your existing skin care products. These can include:
- Hyaluronic acid found in a range of cosmetic products
- Salicylic acid found in anti-ageing treatments
- Benzoyl peroxide found in common acne treatments
- Lactic acid found in common chemical exfoliators
- Shea butter found in soaps and moisturisers
- Eye cream formulated to lessen the appearance of wrinkles and lines
- Hand cream formulated to keep the skin of the handles looking supple
- Vitamin C found in a range of fruits and vegetables
- Cotton gloves to protect dry and eczema-affected hands
- Body oil for all-over body application
Even if you have all of the above and apply them twice a day, it may not be enough to help your skin stay hydrated in winter. If you need to add moisture to your skin during winter, we have some things you should absolutely add to your winter skin care routine.
What should I add to my winter skin care routine?
This is the first day of better winter skin! Here's everything you need to know about what to include in a full service winter skin care routine.
We recommend products that contain hemp seed oil as part of a winter skin care routine. Hemp seed oil is a good choice for winter skin care because it’s rich in essential fatty acids, which can help to lock in moisture and keep the skin hydrated. In addition, hemp seed oil is packed with vitamins and minerals that can help to nourish the skin.
A good moisturiser is key to keeping your skin hydrated in winter. Look for a moisturiser that’s oil-based, rather than water-based, as this will help to lock in moisture. Better yet, a hemp seed oil based moisturiser will keep your skin barrier supple and glowing.
2. Face serum
A face serum can also be beneficial for winter skin care, as it can help to boost hydration levels. Face serums rich in botanical oils can add plenty of moisture and nourishment to the skin.
Exfoliation is important for all skin types, but it’s especially important in winter, as dead skin cells can build up and make your skin look dull. Be sure to use a gentle exfoliator, as harsh scrubs can strip away natural oils and leave skin feeling dry and irritated.
A rich, creamy cleanser can also be helpful for winter skin care, as it can help to remove excess dirt and oil without stripping away moisture. A cleanser should work on both wet and dry skin to offer plenty of restorative cleansing.
5. Lip balm
A lip balm with SPF is a must for any winter skincare routine, as lips are especially susceptible to drying out in the winter. Be sure to find a lip balm that is gentle and non-habit forming. Some lip balms, like pawpaw ointment, can make the lips reliant on constant application.
Sunscreen is important for year-round skin care, but it’s especially important in winter, as the sun’s rays can reflect off of snow and cause damage to the skin. Be sure to choose a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, and apply it generously.
Following these winter skin care tips can help you keep your skin hydrated and healthy all season long. If you have any questions about what elements of your skin routine you need to change to improve the appearance of your skin, we recommend consulting a board-certified dermatologist.
What else should I be doing to combat winter skin?
When the weather gets cool, it's important not to forget about your skin. To help you get on with life, here are our hot tips for looking after yourself in winter.
- Don't land yourself in hot water. Have cooler showers to allow your skin to retain moisture.
- Turn down the central heating. If possible, stop your heating from drying out your skin.
- Go fragrance-free. Stay away from products that have added unnatural fragrances.
- Drink water, as much as in the summer months. It'll add more moisture to your skin naturally.
- 'Less moisture' is not a thing. Keep up the moisturising ingredients every single day.
- Shield yourself from the wind. Make sure you rug up and keep that skin protected.
- Find the right skin care products. This almost goes without saying.
Winter skin routine from Vela Days
Creating a great skin barrier is all about finding the right winter skin care routine. This can be a challenge in summer, and an outright chore in winter. So why not find a winter skin routine that works all year-'round?
Vela Days' 3-step winter skin care routine includes everything you need to create supple, healthy-looking facial skin. It does not matter if you have dry skin, sensitive skin, or skin damaged by the environment. We have what it takes to make you feel both youthful, nourished and protected.
Here's how it works:
- Our Lipid Complex acts as a cleanser to help melt away impurities and makeup.
- Our Active Compound Face Serum treats and transforms, delivering active ingredients to winter skin.
- Our Oil Infusion nourishes by hydration with a range of nutrient-rich botanical oils.
All you need to do is add sunscreen and maybe some lip balm, and you're good to go!
For more information about how our products operate in winter, get in touch with the friendly team at Vela Days. They'd be happy to answer any and all questions. For advice on specific skin care concerns, we will always recommend contacting your board-certified dermatologist.